Tuesday, April 18, 2006

kudos to truth-tellers

I just had a conversation with a dear friend of mine. With a smile on her face she told me that she had a bone to pick with me. I asked her what it was. She said that she felt that I had gone to far in my graphic description of how dirty people's feet can be during my Maunday Thursday sermon on Jesus' washing his disciples' feet.

I was so touched that she cared enough to tell me this personally. She did it in a way that showed her concern for the integrity of our relationship and for me as a pastor/speaker. Because of the love in her approach, and because of the candid nature of the confrontation, I didn't feel threatened by her rebuke. I actually felt loved by a friend who cared about me enough to be honest.

Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with is neighbor, for we are members one of another. (Ephesians 4:25)

3 comments:

bandlady said...

One of my favorite proverbs is this:

Proverbs 24:26 (NIV)

An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips.

Jason Woolever said...

that's a very cool proverb!

Jennice said...

Yea to the truth teller!

I would MUCH rather have someone just tell me how I am offending them than to just hold it in and take it out on me some unidentifiable way. I don't WANT to offend my brother or sister in the Lord (or anyone for that matter), and if I do I certainly would appreciate the chance to make amends or to explain my point of view. How else am I supposed to grow as a Christian? What kind of favor is it doing me to just leave me in the dark to offend someone else? - and what kind of good is it doing to person who holds back to swallow the pain where it could fester and turn to bitterness and anger? Honesty could even serve to IMPROVE the relationship.

That said - Lord, please give me strength to accept reproof gracefully when it comes!