Thursday, May 18, 2006

godly goals vs. godly desires

My wife was recently rereading a good book called Victory Over the Darkness, by Neil T. Anderson. I read this book a couple of years ago and really liked it.

One of the best concepts that I remember from this book was Anderson's comparison of godly goals to godly desires.

He says that a godly goal should be something that is God-honoring that we can achieve, and no amount of interference can keep from happening. For instance, a goal for me might be, "I will learn to preach concise 20-minute sermons." Or, "My goal is to be the best pastor/father I can be."

On the other hand, a godly desire is something that is God-honoring but that involves a number of factors outside of our control coming together for it to be achieved. For example, a godly desire could be, "I desire for my church to grow by 100 in the next five years." Or, "I desire to start a contemporary worship service in the next year."

He would say we need to set godly goals that we can achieve, which are not dependent on external forces, because:
1) Blocked goals result in ANGER.
2) Impossible goals result in DEPRESSION.
3) Uncertain goals result in ANXIETY.

I can relate to these feelings coming from unhealthy goal-setting in my own life. I'm trying to focus more on godly goals.

4 comments:

bandlady said...

I read this book several years ago for a bible study I was in. I know that a lot of people do not agree with Neil Anderson, but one of the things I loved about that book was the extensive list of "Who Am I?" in Christ. A powerful book. I should reread it, too.

Jason Woolever said...

yeah, bandlady, i've heard a lot of people rail against anderson too. when i read his book i thought it would have stuff that was really controversial, but i didn't find anything the least bit controversial. maybe its his other stuff

bandlady said...

I've read "Bondage Breaker" by Anderson as well. I really got a lot out of that book. I read it at the recommendation of my college roommate. I really don't know what the hullaballoo is all about. Everything I've read is biblically sound.

Jason Woolever said...

i haven't read that one. is it as good as victory over the darkness