Monday, May 01, 2006

positive step toward balance

After having our first child in 2003, I was forced to elimate activities from my schedule. I used to run a few days a week and read at least a book a week. Within a few months I had given up running altogether, in order to have time to at least pray and do a little reading. It felt like an either/or.

I mentioned Dan Miller yesterday. So, I was listening to a CD that he put out, and he describes how every morning, after a time of prayer, he goes into his workout room and listens to motivational tapes, audio books, or sermons while exercising. It seemed like a cool idea to me.

Last Thursday on my day off, I loaded my two little kids into their little red wagon and we took a hike to the public library. I checked out a few audiobooks, surprised at the large assortment that was available. Friday morning, I got up and stuck an audiobook in the boom box, and got on the treadmill for a 35 minute walk.

Today was my fourth day to begin my day this way. I offer it to you because I'm feeling positive, doing two things that are important to me, learning and exercising, all in one fell swoop. It feels like I'm redeeming the first hour of the day. Try it and see if you like it. I'm digging it.

No comments: