24"Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy place.
25"So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress.
26"Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined.
27"And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate." - Daniel 9:24-27 NASB
This is an important Scripture for understanding the pretrib, premillenial position. I offer you my understanding of it for the sake of the discussion.
1. In vs.24, the idea of 70 weeks is presented. It is generally accepted that "weeks" refers to weeks of years, or a term of 7 years. So the 70 weeks equals 490 days.
2. In vs.25, it says that between the time the issue was given for Jerusalem to be rebuilt until the time of the Messiah will be a period of 483 years (7 weeks and 62 weeks). The issue occurred in in or around 457BC. If you add 483 years to 457BC you get the year 26AD.
3. In vs.26, it talks about the Messiah being cut off and the "people of the prince who is to come" destroying the sanctuary. After Jesus died, things between the Jews and Rome got worse and worse until the Romans had destroyed Jerusalem by 70AD.
4. In vs.27, it says he (the prince who is to come, or the Anti-Christ) will make a covenant with many for 7 years, but in the middle of the 7 year period he will renig. This 7-year period is the time of the Great Tribulation. After the Church is raptured, the Anti-Christ will make a covenant with the Jewish people and offer them protection and peace, and they will be able to make sacrifices in the temple in Jerusalem once again. After 3.5 years, he will renig on the covenant and begin persecuting the Jews like crazy, and demand that he be recognized as god.
5. In vs.27, it talks about the utter destruction of Antichrist ("the one who makes desolate") which will occur when Christ returns with his saints and destroys him at his Second Coming.