Monday, July 24, 2006

why some churches grow

I was thinking this morning while driving to work about why some churches grow and others don't. I know that there are a number of "growth factors" to consider, which can be addressed by a church that desires to grow. But, in my heart, I think that there are really only two reasons why a particular church would grow.

1) God wills it.
I really believe that many churches have seasons of numeric growth because in God's sovereignty, he pours out his Spirit and moves the hearts of people toward unity and mission. Of all the factors that pertain, God's will has got to be the thing that pulls them all together.

2) The people are passionate about bringing others to Christ.
Personally, I believe that any local church could grow if the people believe deep down in their bones that there are the eternal destinies of others at stake, and they are willing to do whatever it takes to see those others come to Christ. If bringing pre-Christians to Christ is the organizing and driving force through which all activity is filtered, there will be great flexibility in how that's carried out.

NOTE: When I say "the people," the pastor is included.

4 comments:

Jim said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now, (I found it through Wesley Daily) and you have some awesome insights. I really enjoy this post.

I am a youth pastor and exploring candidate for ordained minsistry from South Georgia.

Check out my blog @ http://jimmorrow.wordpress.com

Jason Woolever said...

hey, thanks jim. i'll check out your blog!

BruceA said...

I don't disagree with you completely -- I think both of those are reasons why some churches grow. But I think there are other factors in some cases. Some churches grow because they have watered down their doctrine to tell people what their "itching ears want to hear," perhaps a health and wealth gospel or an I'm-OK-you're-OK message given by a telegenic preacher.

Jason Woolever said...

good point, bruce.