Friday, August 11, 2006

billy graham - i love this guy

Wednesday I had been sitting in the doctor's office and I began reading an article about Billy Graham in Newsweek. I got called into the doctor and wasn't able to finish the gripping article about the aging of Graham. Last night, when I checked my email before bed, I found that my older brother had sent me a link to the very same article. .

There are some very thoughtful reflections from the maturing Graham. Here are a couple.

On the Middle East:

"I've been watching the news from the Middle East full time," Graham says. "I think that history began there, and it is going to end there. The whole Bible is centered in the Middle East and so many of the events that are taking place in some ways already have taken place many times, and my heart goes out to all those people who are suffering on all sides ... I pray for those people constantly—they're on my mind, they're on my heart. I pray that somehow they will find a solution. I'm not sure they will ever find a permanent solution. Christ, who I believe is going to come back, will settle all of those things in a great period of righteousness."
(From the last line, it appears that he is a premillenialist. Does anybody know what Billy Graham's end-times perspective is? If you do, I'd love to know.)

On the salvation of non-Christians:

When asked whether he believes heaven will be closed to good Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or secular people, though, Graham says: "Those are decisions only the Lord will make. It would be foolish for me to speculate on who will be there and who won't ... I don't want to speculate about all that. I believe the love of God is absolute. He said he gave his son for the whole world, and I think he loves everybody regardless of what label they have." Such an ecumenical spirit may upset some Christian hard-liners, but in Graham's view, only God knows who is going to be saved: "As an evangelist for more than six decades, Mr. Graham has faithfully proclaimed the Bible's Gospel message that Jesus is the only way to Heaven," says Graham spokesman A. Larry Ross. "However, salvation is the work of Almighty God, and only he knows what is in each human heart."

6 comments:

Seven Star Hand said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason Woolever said...

Dear ssh,
Please excuse me for deleting your comment. My reasons for doing so were first the length, second the content. It had very little to do with the blog entry you were commenting on, and you openly profess to be publishing flagrantly anti-christian propoganda. That is not a use of this blog that I can support.

TN Rambler said...

Jason,
I too was impressed with the article on Dr Graham. He has had a tremendous affect on the world-wide church and has a humble quality that I find refreshing.

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I too read the same article. I was touched by Billy Graham.

I've learned much from him. As I describe my theology I am a somewhere between the fundamentalist teachings of Dr. John R. Rice and the paleo-orthodoxy of Albert Outler.

It has been difficult to me to maintain doctrinal orthodoxy, biblical separation, and maintain the love of Jesus Christ. Billy Graham remains an inspiration of balancing orthodoxy with love and compassion. I have much to learn in this area.

But Dr. Graham, is right that only God knows the heart of every man.

Matthew 10:14-16 (KJV)
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

I think that Mr. Wesley would agree with Dr. Graham that only God knows the heart of every man.

I have so much to learn.

John Flores
Frisco, Texas

Mike Rayson said...

It was a great article. I read it whilst waiting to see my lawyer this week.

Praise God for Billy Graham.

Charles said...

I believe that Dr. Graham is one of the finest ministers in the Holy Universal Church. I have been to the Billy Graham Training Center with my wife and found it wonderful. Billy is a pretribulational premillenialists although he does not try to guess when our Lord is coming and he respects other Christian views. I have been Southern Baptist,Cooperative Baptist, Lutheran, and United Methodist.I have been a Southern Baptist Deacon and considered studying as a Local Pastor in the UMC. I will miss Dr. Graham when his spirit joins Ruth in heaven.
Charles E. Miller, BA,MAR,DipBS