Monday, August 07, 2006

my favorite movie

I had a great weekend with my family. I had the opportunity to perform the wedding of my cousin at Toledo United Methodist Church, in Toledo, Illinois, my mom's home town. We got back late Saturday night. Yesterday, after a good morning at church, a good lunch at the local Chinese buffet, a good nap, and putting the kids to bed, my wife and I watched my all-time favorite movie, The Apostle. It stars Robert Duvall, Farrah Fawcett, and June Carter Cash. I hadn't watched it in over four years. When I first received Christ, I used to watch it over and over, absorbing the enthusiasm of the Holiness Pentecostalism portrayed in the movie. If you haven't seen this movie, watch it and love it. If you live nearby and want to borrow my copy, let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I'll have to watch that movie sometime. Thanks for the recommendation.

John Flores
Frisco, Texas

Jason Woolever said...

watch it and let me know what you think.

Eric Berry said...

Jason,

I like the Apostle too. I watched it again and noticd the reference to domestic violence when he and his wife were talking about their strained relationship. I often wonder if the MOVIE was trying to make a statement about Pentecostal pastors and the way they (supposedly) treat their wives.

My favorite part of the movie is the "jet plane" sermon. I wonder if that would preach in my church?

E

Jason Woolever said...

Huh, I wonder if there was a bit of commentary about the abusiveness of pastors. There was definitely the theme of hypocrisy in pastors.

By domestic violence do you mean when he was talking to her for the last time and he she kept moving away from him?