Thursday, August 24, 2006

Wesley on hell

If anyone wants to know what United Methodists believe about hell, click here and scroll down to "Of Hell" and read John Wesley's official sermon on it. Here's an excerpt:
"As for our pains on earth, blessed be God, they are not eternal. There are some intervals to relieve and there is some period to finish them. When we ask a friend that is sick, how he does; 'I am in pain now,' says he, 'but I hope to be easy soon.' This is a sweet mitigation of the present uneasiness. But how dreadful would his case be if he should answer, 'I am all over pain, and I shall never be eased of it. I lie under exquisite torment of body, and horror of soul; and I shall feel it for ever!' Such is the case of the damned sinners in hell. Suffer any pain, then, rather than come into that place of torment!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I agree with Mr. Wesley on the biblical reality of hell and to be enternally seperated from God.

But their is another Hell right hell it in Round Rock, Texas.

Its name is Dell Hell.
http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html

Is there some UMC agency that will write an environmental impact statement asking Dell to change their ways? We can't have exploding laptops --- it too close to fire and brimstone...
www.telegraph.co.uk/.../2006/08/16/ndell16.xml

John Flores
Frisco, Texas

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting site.

http://what-the-hell-is-hell.com/

The books and articles on this site will conclusively prove to reasonable and rational men and women, that the concept of a place of everlasting burnings in literal flames in a place called Hell comes from the minds of men, rather than the heart of God.

John Flores
Friso, Texas

Quoted: General Phil Sheridan, stationed in Texas after the Civil War, said, "If I owned both Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell." Acute meteorological analysis but poor theology.

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I retract my earlier statement. Hell is not in Round Rock, Texas but in Michigan.

In 1841 when the State of Michigan came by, and asked George Reeves what he wanted to name his town, he replied, “Call it Hell for all I care, everyone else does.” So the official date of becoming Hell was October 13, 1841...

Hell, Michigan Offical Web Site
http://www.hell2u.com/

More on Hell, Michigan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_MI

John Flores
Frisco, Texas

Jason Woolever said...

I heard about Hell, Michigan. I hear its a hot vacation spot. get it? hot vacation spot. I kill myself!

Anonymous said...

Wesley is wrong on hell.

"for when thy judgments [are] in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."
Isaiah 26:9