Monday, September 04, 2006

labor day

This Labor Day I'm very grateful for my job. I know at least 3 friends of mine are currently looking for jobs. Maybe more. There's nothing more stressful than being unemployed and trying to find something that fits, while worrying about keeping your kids fed.

If you or someone you know is looking for a job, I heartily recommend taking a day or two and quickly reading Dan Miller's book, 48 Days To The Work You Love. This book is so motivating and intensely practical that while reading it I felt like I wanted to go out and find a job just because he laid out the steps so clearly. It deals with everything from resume writing to generating job leads. I'm not kidding. If you need a job, read this book soon.

On another note, Phil Icenogle, the Directing Pastor at my church, preached yesterday on some biblical principles that relate to work in his sermon More Than Laborers. You might want to check it out.

If you have friends who are jobhunting, pray that God will guard them against Satan's attacks on their sense of self-esteem and self-worth, and that they'll resist the ever-present temptation to become depressed.

If you have any job at all, whether you are satisfied or not, thank God tonight that you are able to support yourself and your family. Many people don't have what you have.

No comments: