Monday, September 11, 2006

Rob Bell, i'm sorry

As I mentioned, this past weekend I attended a Promise Keepers rally in Milwaukee. Friday night Bob Reccord shared the gospel and hundreds of men responded in faith by placing their souls in Jesus' hands. We then took a short break, came back, sang some songs, watched a drama, and concluded the night by watching Rob Bell's Nooma video Dust.

It hit me how wide spread Rob's influence is. These videos are being shown in church services, youth groups, Sunday school classes, and small groups all over the world, and now they're being shown to thousands of men at Promise Keepers rallies. And the video was very good too.

This weekend was very good for me and challenged my heart in a number of ways. One of the things that occurred to me is that I have spoken against Rob Bell's theology and message on this blog and among friends. But the truth is that I have done this out of envy rather than integrity and love.

I have been jealous of Rob's great success. He is only a few years older than me. I have measured myself against how God has used him and wanted his success for myself. Since I don't have it, I chose to speak evil of one whose ministry has influenced me and blessed me.

I have gained insight about preaching from listening to his sermons and workshops. I have gained insight about Jesus from his book and videos. Don't think I'm worshiping Rob Bell right now. I'm just confessing that I have spoken against someone who has been a blessing to me.

John Wesley's sermon A Caution Against Bigotry began convicting me about this sin a couple of weeks ago. And now I need to publically repent of my covetousness. Rob and everyone, I'm sorry. I ask your forgiveness. May God continue to use Rob Bell's ministry to bless thousands as he has used it to bless me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have used Rob Bell's Nooma series for discussion starters. I don't always agree with how he goes about it, but they do capture the attention of the group I minister to. We are all guilty of thinking the grass is greener elsewhere. You are being used for God's glory. Your impact on one person may be greator than Rob Bell's impact on the thousands who have watched his videos. Allow God the glory Jason, and may God continue to bless you as you grow in your faith and your service.

Jason Woolever said...

hey, anon, thanks for the encouragement!

Mike said...

Well done Jason. It takes a heart tuned to God to admit error publicly.

May God bless us all as we minister in his name.

Mike

ps - call me

Keith Taylor said...

Jason

I agree wholeheartedly with anon.

God has such a wonderful and awesome vision. Here is a hypothetical question that I heard in a sermon once that parallels what anon said.

There are two Christians. The first works tirelessly and leads tens of thousands of people to Christ. The second Christian man witnesses his whole life and at his death can only truly account for leading one lost sinner to Christ. The one man who was lead to Christ in his life only leads one person to Christ, who only leads one person to Christ, who leads a person to Christ who becomes the next Billy Graham or the next Apostle Paul leading literally tens of millions of lost souls to Christ in some future Great Awakening.

In the eyes of God, which of the two contemporaries did more to further the Kingdom of God? The man who lead thousands or the man who only lead one?

There are captains of a few, captains of 10s, 100s, 1000's and millions and God choses each of us. We should never rest serving the Lord, but we should also happy with the role that we are given.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble.

Jason Woolever said...

"We should never rest serving the Lord, but we should also happy with the role that we are given."

Great point Keith. Thanks for your thoughts. I always think of rambling as aimless. Your words were well-stated. Thanks!