Monday, October 16, 2006

why men hate church

I checked out the book Why Men Hate Going to Church by David Murrow of Church For Men from our conference's United Methodist Resource Center. He gives a top 10 list of excuses that men give for not wanting to go to church:
10. I don't have time.
9. Church just doesn't work for me.
8. It's boring.
7. It's irrelevant to my life.
6. I don't like the pastor.
5. I don't want to talk about it.
4. It's too long.
3. They ask for money too much.
2. It's for wimps.
1. There are too many hypocrites there.

4 comments:

gavin richardson said...

interesting top 10. the umc.org had this article on this thought process. something to think about as you read the book.

Jason Woolever said...

thanks for the link gavin. that is a good article. it will be interesting to see how the Wesleyan Band of Brothers curriculum is responded to.

Anonymous said...

My Men's Bible Fellowship was discussing that same issue. We will continue discussing this.

I have started to read, The Next Generation Leader: Five Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future by Andy Stanley.

Even though it is written from a perspective of Senior Pastor it so far has given me a different of "successful leader".

Jason,
You might look at the book if you have time.

John Flores
Frisco, Texas

Jason Woolever said...

I read that book when it came out. Its a great book. He's a great writer.