Sunday, November 05, 2006

Ted and Gayle Haggard's letters to their congregation

Here are the letters that Ted and Gayle prepared to be read this morning at their former congregation, New Life Church, in Colorado Springs, Colorado. As I read their letters, I was touched by both of them. I saw an interview with Tony Compollo discussing Ted Haggard, and you could sense his love for Ted. He said something to the effect, "We have to remember that every person is better than who they are in their darkest hour." I have to say that I really think Ted took this hit for all of us. I mean, I think that many of us will be more careful than we've ever been in monitoring our personal behavior, because wehave seen what he's gone through.

I'm also incredibly encouraged by the the way that our brothers and sisters in the evangelical community have not made matters worse, but have expressed their support for Ted, showing the love of Christ to the world, even though we're embarrassed. I think of Jesus saying, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35).

2 comments:

gavin richardson said...

submitting to dobson.. i don't know if i'd do that. otherwise, a well written response in an otherwise awful & confusing situation.

Jason Woolever said...

yeah, he seems to be open about the fact that he's a mess, and doesn't make any promises he can't keep. i admire him for that.