Tuesday, December 05, 2006

hopeful

I just stopped by the church office on the way home from the teaching summit with Diana Butler Bass. I told my kids I'd be home when they got up from their naps, so I can only write a little now.

First, thanks to everyone for your thoughts on the meaning of being "an evangelical." I'm glad I've got an online community of comrades to work through these important issues with. I just briefly glanced at Locusts and Honey and saw a good deal of discussion about doctrine that I want to catch up on.

Second, the teaching time with Diana Butler Bass was very helpful. I've been to many leadership events and meetings that I leave from feeling discouraged and clueless about what on earth we're supposed to be doing in ministry at this time in history. D.B.B. has spent a lot of time and research trying to understand the current ministry climate and its historical significance. What she has to offer feels to me to be the most productive and hopeful analysis and solution that I've seen yet.

I'm very encouraged by what I took in the last two days. I'm trying to process it and will share more later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason,

Sometimes sharing milk & cookies with your child followed by a "power nap" is the best use of your time.

Sometimes you have to settle for a healthier snack though...


John Flores
Frisco, Texas