Wednesday, December 13, 2006

a time to be born and a time to die...

Yesterday a friend shared with me that when she was younger her grandmother always told her that God has a big book. And in that book beside each of our names are two dates, the day we are to be born and the day we are to die.

We were talking about whether it said that anywhere in the Bible. The only Scripture that I could come up with to support that idea, expressed that way, is Psalm 139:16: "And in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them" (NASB).

I think my friend was saying that this idea of the big book of beginnings and ends had brought her comfort as she rested in God's ultimate control over what happens to human beings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason my brother,

Whatever book you studied escatology from find it and throw it away.

You might have a look at these scriptures or just do a search on "
book of life".

Philippians 4:3

Revelation 3:5

Revelation 13:8

Revelation 17:7-8 (ESV)
But the angel said to me, “Why do you marvel? I will tell you the mystery of the woman, and of the beast with seven heads and ten horns that carries her. The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come.

Revelation 20:12

Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done

Revelation 20:15
And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:27

Revelation 22:19

I might guess that these texts are not cited much in sermons in the UMC these days. But I hope I'm wrong.

Only kidding about throwing away the book, I even have books my those I consider heretical so I can understand the basic flaws in the foundation of the revisionist theology.

Go study the scripture and remember to share what the Holy Spirit has revealed to you with your brothers. (the brothers you may wish you never had... lol)

May the Peace of Jesus Christ be within your heart this Christmas season and everyday prior and after.

John Flores
Frisco, Texas

Jason Woolever said...

hey john, i'm familiar with all the "book" passages. Its the "death date written in the book" idea i didn't have a better reference for.

Anonymous said...

Jason,

On second thought on your grandmother's thoughts on God's books tracking us read this article. It is very close to the idea your grandmother spoke of and expounds upon it some some.

I think you enjoy this exposition on God's booking.

http://www.letusreason.org/Doct5.htm

As of tommorow, I am on blogging hiatus.

May God continue to bless y'all,

John Flores
Frisco, Texas