Sunday, January 21, 2007

1 year & how I feel about the Bible

This is the one-year anniversary of the beginning of my blogging career. This post is my 410th one.

Below is an article I wrote for our church newsletter. It shares a little bit about how I feel about the importance of God's Word.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I recently attended the Saturday night service of a church near Chicago that is reading through the entire Bible together in 2007. I’ve heard of churches doing this and I think it is such a wonderful idea.

There is nothing more important for a follower of Jesus Christ than to be reading and thinking about God’s Word on a regular basis. I would venture to say that unless a Christian is in the Word of God on a regular basis that he/she has no idea what God would have them do.

Here are some Scriptures that speak about the importance of God’s Word in the life of believers:

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. – Psalm 119:105

But [Jesus] answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” – Matthew 4:4

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” – John 8:31-32

[Jesus prayed],“ Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” – John 17:17

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. – II Timothy 3:16-17

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. – Hebrews 4:12-13

I came across this touching story about the preciousness of God’s Word at www.bible.org: A man in Kansas City was severely injured in an explosion. Evangelist Robert L. Sumner tells about him in his book The Wonders of the Word of God. The victim’s face was badly disfigured, and he lost his eyesight as well as both hands. He was just a new Christian, and one of his greatest disappointments was that he could no longer read the Bible. Then he heard about a lady in England who read Braille with her lips. Hoping to do the same, he sent for some books of the Bible in Braille. Much to his dismay, however, he discovered that the nerve endings in his lips had been destroyed by the explosion. One day, as he brought one of the Braille pages to his lips, his tongue happened to touch a few of the raised characters and he could feel them. Like a flash he thought, I can read the Bible using my tongue. At the time Robert Sumner wrote his book, the man had “read” through the entire Bible four times. (taken from The Wonders of the Word of God, by Robert L. Sumner.)

As many of us as know how to read, let us read God’s Word daily!
As many of us as have eyes that see, let us use them to study God’s Word!
As many of us as hands that work, let us use them to open up the treasure chest of God’s Word!

8 comments:

Armando said...

Happy first bloganiversary (if the word exists). Be blessed and keep on going!

Jason Woolever said...

thanks man!

JD said...

Thanks for sharing, Jason. I always appreciate your comments and posts, even though we have not had any "controversial" topics as of late. We are discussing Genesis in Sunday School and I reference your blog and comments on Evolution regularly. I know there is more to Genesis than creation, but we seem to get stuck there.

PAX
JD

PS: Armando, I like the new picture!

Jason, What happened to John?

Jason Woolever said...

hey JD. good to hear from you man.

Haven't heard from John since I got back from Mexico. Maybe we should call him in as a missing person!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason and everyone,

I have been keeping a low profile. My men's group has been discussing

1) the merits of reading the bible in a year - different reading plans

2) our plans and goals for this year as a group

3) a mission project

Hope all are having a blessed new year!

John Flores
Frisco, Texas

Jason Woolever said...

he's back, ladies and gentlemen! John Flores is no longer MIA!

JD said...

John,

It is good to see you back and we all can understand all the things that we do. Funniest thing about blogging, most of the people that I read, really don't have the time to be doing it to begin with.

HUMMMMM?
PAX
JD

Anonymous said...

JD,

That was priceless!

John Flores
Frisco, Texas