Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Andy Stanley's 45-hour work week

Here's a great blog post by Tony Morgan about how Andy Stanley made this deal with God to not work more than 45 hours per week:
God, I don't have time to build a ministry and take care of my family. I'll give you 45 hours per week as a church planter. If you can build a church on 45 hours, I'm your guy. I'll let you build has big a church as you can with that 45 hours, and I'll be satisfied with that. But I'm not going to cheat my family.
These are some of the leadership ramifications of his decision:

1. It forced him to play exclusively to play to his strengths.

2. It forced him to prioritize the success of the church over my personal success.

3. The value has forced the organization to say no to many things and maintain a sustainable pace.

4. This value elicits incredible loyalty from the staff.

5 comments:

greg hazelrig said...

This is a good usuage of time I believe. I'me trying to turm my church around right now (and using some of the things I've learned form Andy Stanley).

The thing is, for the last few weeks, I've put in more than my 45 hours and right now I'm at home and resting up. I got to be where I was worn out and couldn't make the best decisions or be as creative as I would like. So working more than 45 hours (especially for some of old guys - 37 yrs old :) ) can often be more of a hindrince.

greg hazelrig said...

Sorry about the mistakes in spelling and grammer. I told you I was tired.

:)

Jason Woolever said...

thanks for the testimony man. i've found stanley's stuff helpful too. i like how he keeps God as the source of growth and not his efforts. i'll say a prayer for your church today greg! great to hear from you!

Daniel McLain Hixon said...

more people need to hear Andy Stanley's message. I know several pastors that are, quite frankly, workaholics - who put in 50 or 60 hours + in the totality of their ministerial work each week. We rationalize this b/c it is "for the Lord" (or our own insecurities?) but this is in fact spiritually unhealthy (does "keep holy the sabbath" sound vaguely familiar?) and it is unhealthy for their families. If pastors don't learn to draw lines (that is, recognizing and saying "no" to lower priorities) and to explain to the church why it is necessary to do so, then we are going to continue to see high rates of clergy burnout, divorce, and ineffectiveness.

Of course, surely there are some lazy pastors too, but I haven't known as many of them personally...

Jason Woolever said...

i agree daniel. most pastors are not lazy!