Sunday, January 14, 2007

good prayer advice

Brian Bill blogged about Ray Pritchard's blog posting about J.I. Packer's new book on prayer. Pritchard's article was very helpful. He pointed out this specific advice for prayer that I want to put into effect:
When you pray, pray audibly. They mean even when you pray alone, pray out loud, or at least speak under your breath, mouthing the words, which some writers call “lipping” your prayers. They note that praying aloud helps you to concentrate and keeps your mind from wandering. “The idea that private prayer should always be made in total silence is quite recent, just as it is quite silly” (p. 287). They also advise punctuating your prayers by singing your favorite hymns or songs of praise.

3 comments:

Keith Taylor said...

Jason,

I think this is a good point made here. I have personally noticed this.

In addition to his comment on hymns, I also sometime like to repeat the Apostle's Creed in prayer. I don't know why I started doing it. I think it was recommended in a copy of Martin Luther's Small Catechism that I no longer have, but it does focus me all three aspects of God who I'm praying to and what I believe about God and the Church.

JD said...

Jason,

I thought the whole comment that silent prayer is a new concept was interesting, but then I thought about it and think of the Gregorian Chants and the fact that the entire mass used to be sung in Latin. I have tried to do as John mentioned earlier this year about praying and reading scripture out loud. It truly does help one focus. Amazing how something that simple can be so invigorating.

PAX
JD

Jason Woolever said...

Another person remarked to me how helpful praying out loud has been to her after reading the suggestions here.