Wednesday, January 17, 2007

they are proud of him

The last couple of days the main thing I've put myself into was preparing for and officiating at the funeral of my friend Mac McCoy. Mac was married to the same woman for 60+ years, he had 5 children, 14 grandchildren, and 17 great grandchildren. Its always pretty awesome to look at an older couple and see the large family that God has generated from their coming together. The theme that kept re-emerging for the last few days has been how proud they all were of Mac.

This morning I was reading Proverbs 17 and came across a verse that seems to describe what I've been observing the last couple of days among the McCoy family:
Grandchildren are the crown of the aged,
and the glory of children is their fathers.
- Proverbs 17:6

4 comments:

Carol Herdien said...

This is so true Jason. You are a long, long way from being a grandfather, but someday, you will be there. Believe me, having children is wonderful and I love my four so very much, but grandchildren are the ultimate crown. I prayed for 20 years for grandchildren and when they finally arrived, it was more thrilling than when I held my own children in my arms. Tuck this note away and in two decades from now, re-read it and you will know that the Scripture you quoted is so very true. Landry a father ---- hmmmm, I'm trying to imagine it. ha ha

Carol Herdien

Jason Woolever said...

He wants to have 5 boys!

Carol Herdien said...

Five boys! I hope he marries a strong woman that can handle all of that. Just think of the energy of five Landry's!

Carol

Jason Woolever said...

ha ha... i can't even imagine!