Friday, February 02, 2007

Jeremiah - the movie

Last week I preached on the call of Jeremiah the prophet (Jeremiah 1:4-10). On Tuesday morning a friend loaned me a set of Bible-based movies. Wednesday night my wife and I watched Jeremiah and really enjoyed it. Afterwards we both went immediately to our Bibles and looked up passages that were portrayed in the movie.

I won't say that this movie is perfectly accurate, but I will say that it is good historical fiction that helps paint a picture of what kind of struggles the young prophet might have faced, and also helps the viewer understand the historical setting of the life and times of Jeremiah the prophet. Although I couldn't find anything on the web saying that Patrick Dempsey who played Jeremiah is a Christian (or a Jew for that matter), I thought he did a terrific job in this role. Its a long way from Can't Buy Me Love, which was one of my favorite movies when I was in Jr. High.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to love Can't By Me Love too! Not for Patrick Dempsey though. It came out shortly before I became a student at the U of Arizona in Tucson. The mall scenes were at Tucson Mall which was very cool for the 80s. If I remember correctly, nearly all the scenes were shot in Tucson. I wish I was there now...I'd be much warmer! Kara

Anonymous said...

I agree that they are good historical fiction... that paint the picture for an image rich world.

there are 10 or so DVD's in the Series
TNT Bible Collection 10-Pack - DVD
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1479