Tuesday, February 06, 2007

too close to home

I just received an email from Church World Direct with this ad from Stewart Signs that had the above picture in it. It had a caption that said "GOT ROOM FOR GROWTH?" This picture hits very close to home for so many mainline churches.

A good friend of mine told me about a worship service he attended at a United Methodist Church a couple of weeks ago. He described the incredibly high ceiling of the majestic sanctuary, the long wooden pews, and how it looked as if it could easily seat 1000. But then he told me that at the contemporary service he attended there were only about 25 people. Supposedly there are a couple of times in the year when they get up to around 50, but normally it stays around 25, and that number includes the pastors and the praise band.

I'm not even poking fun at the church my friend visited. Its just scary how this sign company meant to develop an ad that looked ridiculous and ended up with a picture that very accurately depicts the struggle that many mainline churches face. On the other hand, I wish we could say we were as racially diverse as the tiny congregation pictured above!

God help us all!

No comments: