Friday, March 16, 2007

the cost of parenting

At my wife's request, I'm reading Shepherding a Child's Heart, a book about biblical parenting. I'm not quite as into reading parenting books as my wife is. To be honest, when we finally get the kids to bed, I don't want to think about discipline techniques and all that anymore. However, as I've been reading this book by Tedd Tripp, I've been very convicted. Here's a passage I read last night where Tripp talks about the cost of parenting:
Parenting is your primary calling. Parenting will mean that you can't do all the things that you could otherwise do. It will affect your golf handicap. It may mean your home does not look like a picture from Better Homes and Gardens. It will impact your career and ascent on the corporate ladder. It will alter the kind of friendships you will be able to pursue. It will influence the kind of ministry you are able to pursue. It will modify the amount of time you have for bowling, hunting, television, or how many books you can read. It will mean that you can't develop every interest that comes along. The costs are high. (p.97)
To give you an idea of where this book falls along the theological spectrum, here's a quote off the back cover by Pastor John MacArthur:
"With the plethora of material on parenting and the family, it is surprising- and distressing- to see how few books are genuinely biblical. Here is a refreshing exception. Tedd Tripp offers solid, trustworthy, biblical help for parents. If you are looking for the right perspective and preactical help, you won't find a more excellent guide."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason:

I thought that Boundaries for Children by Cloud and Townsend was (is) an excellent parenting book based upon biblical principles. Just my .02cents worth. Thank you for sharing the many books that you do.

Warmest regards,
Joseph (The poster formerly known as Dark Gable)

Jason Woolever said...

hey Joseph, good to hear from you. thanks for the recommendation. my wife says she has that book but hasn't read it yet. it was recently recommended to me by someone else as well. maybe God is trying to tell me to check it out.

TulipGrrl said...

You may also like "Heartfelt Discipline" by Clay Clarkson or "Families Where Grace is in Place" by Jeff Von Vonderan.