Tuesday, March 13, 2007

the source of Stonewall's courage

My wife came across this cool quote from Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson. He was once asked about his incredible courage going into battle. He replied:
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."

4 comments:

JD said...

Jason,

That is one of the principal quotes portrayed in the movie Gods and Generals. You might want to check it out some time. Long movie, but well worth it if ypu can sit through it.

PAX
JD

Jason Woolever said...

cool JD! thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out sometime

Keith Taylor said...

Jason,

I strive to have this kind of Christian faith. I pray that God will give it to me. I believe that Gen. Jackson was right! Imagine the work of the Kingdom of God that goes undone because of Christians such as myself that live in fear. Fear of dying, fear of ridicule, fear of looking foolish, fear of .... anything. Fear is a horrible spirit withing the Kingdom. It is only when we realize that we have nothing to fear (including death) that we can truly do great things. Thanks for putting this quote up.

Jason Woolever said...

no prob brother keith!