Tuesday, March 20, 2007

we cannot save ourselves

Yesterday morning as I was driving to work I heard Charles Osgood commenting on global warming:
Andrew Weaver a climate scientist at the University of Victoria says ideas of tinkering with the earth's air water and sunlight to fight global warming remind him of a children's' book, "The King, The Mice and the Cheese" by Nancy and Eric Gurney. The story goes like this. A king's castle is infested with MICE. So the king brings in cats to kill the mice. When the castle is overrun with cats he calls in dogs to get rid of the cats. To get rid of the dogs he called in Lions. To get rid of he lions he brought in elephants. And finally to get rid of the elephants he brought in mice, until they were back to where they started. Weaver says before we take any of these extreme measures to sward off global ewe should read that book and take its lessons to heart. So many of the problems of the word are the unintended consequences of well meant solutions to other problems.
There's no doubt the human race is in an ongoing predicament. The predicament as I understand it is that the human race cannot save itself. We need a source of salvation that is outside the realm of what we can fabricate. So, Christ is the only option.

Peter admonishes in Acts 3:19-21, "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago."

4 comments:

Brett said...

I agree that the human race is in an ogoing predicament. I agree that the human race cannot save itself. I also agree that we have a desparate need of salvation. However, from this point on there is a fine line between man creating something in his mind to help him out of this predicament and a loving God who sees our needs and provides a way of salvation for us.
I have real historical sins that need to be forgiven, and I need a real historical savior.
In other words, just because I have gotten myself into a jam with my sins and I do not have the ability to dig myself out of the hole I've dug, this does not mean that there has to be a solution outside of ourselves. The fact that there is a solution outside of ourselves is due solely to the grace of God.

JD said...

Well said, Brett! I am also glad that the point of Jason's post is not meant. This is not about global warming, but our need for salvation outside of ourselves and the world's current secular view that there are things that we can do to change an ecosystem as big as our planet.

PAX
JD

JD said...

I meant missed, his point was not missed in the metaphore. Stupid blackberry. :)

PAX
JD

Jason Woolever said...

"The fact that there is a solution outside of ourselves is due solely to the grace of God."
Amen