Monday, May 21, 2007

i've been singing a lot lately

This Martin Luther quote starts off the chapter entitled "Singing Your Way to Victory" in Ray Pritchard's latest book, Stealth Attack.
"I have no use for cranks who despise music, because it is a gift of God. Music drives away the Devil and makes people happy; they forget thereby all wrath, unchastity, arrogance, and the like. Next after theology, I give to music the highest place and the greatest honor."
Since reading Stealth Attack, I have been singing non-stop. Here's the passage from Pritchard's book that got me singing:

If we want spiritual victory over the devil, one way to get it is to sing our way there...

Fill your heart with God-honoring music all day long... Given today's resources, there is no reason that every Christian cannot go through each day listening to God-centered, Christ-exalting music.

You can find it on the Internet. You can play it on a CD. You can play it on your iPod. You can play it on a cassette tape. You can listen on your Walkman. You can listen to Christian music on the radio. You can buy a DVD of Christian music. You can write your own music. You can buy a hymnbook.

When you are discouraged, sing "Shout to the Lord." When you feel like quitting, sing "Great Is Thy Faithfulness." When you feel empty, sing "Come Thou Fount." When you are tempted, sing "How Great Thou Art." When you feel overwhelmed with guilt sing "Wonderful, Merciful Savior." When you are hungry to know God better, sing "As the Deer."

Parents, sing to your children...and to your grandchildren. Make sure they hear you singing in church. Teach your children and grandchildren to sing hymns, gospel songs, choruses.

Sing while you are in the shower. Sing while you ride your bike. Sing along while you listen to the radio. Sing while you work out. (p.123)

4 comments:

JD said...

Truly something that my wife does and, especially at times of intense temptation, I find myself doing, even unconsciously. Singing is amazing, especially since most Christian music today is so easy to pick up and remember.

One song that is always floating in my head is "How Great is Our God" by Chris Tomlin.

PAX
JD

Jason Woolever said...

that's a great song. I've found myself singing a lot of old hymns lately. they have great theology.

TN Rambler said...

I've found myself haunted by Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)". I especially like that he uses Newton's original last verse: The earth will soon dissolve like snow, the sun forbear to shine, but God who called me here below, will be forever mine."

Dana said...

We sure do, Jason! As I was reading your post, the one that came to mind was "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" - just a fun, bouncy, joyfully ROLLICKING praise to God. I wish I played piano better, because our songs aren't supposed to drag, and it takes me so long to find the right notes that I get frustrated! ;D