Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Good News

One of the highlights of Annual Conference this year was attending the Good News dinner. Good News says of itself:
The Good News Movement is a voice for repentance, an agent for reform, and a catalyst for renewal within the United Methodist Church. By God’s grace, we will proclaim and demonstrate the power and effectiveness of historic Christianity as emphasized in Wesleyan doctrine and practice.
My friend Steve and I, both being conservative evangelicals, decided to take a closer look at the Good News movement by attending their dinner this year on Thursday evening of Annual Conference. The guest speaker for the evening was the current president of the movement James V. Heidinger II. After giving a challenging and encouraging speech to the couple hundred of us or so that were there, Heidinger stuck around and talked with my friend Steve and me for a good half hour. He's a great man, and I truly appreciated him taking the time to build up a couple of young evangelicals.

4 comments:

Larry B said...

Nice to hear that the people from Good News are actually real and good people. You wouldn't know it from some of the things said by those opposed to the group.

Jason Woolever said...

true true.
its hard to get the real truth about any group by talking to those who are opposed to the ideals of that group!

Will Deuel said...

True, Jason. Also true of the Reconciling folks.

Man, if "liberals" and "conservatives" (I'm convinced that neither term is helpful anymore, hence the quotes) could treat one another like people of good faith and actually engage one another in reasoned dialogue.....

Okay, I'm just talking nonsense now. That could NEVER happen.

;)

The Thief said...

I have not sat in on meetings of the Good News folks or the Reconciling folks, but I want to just to see what goes on in one of the meetings.

With all the negativity I see in my conference (West Ohio) from each group toward the other, I wonder what might happen if both groups would focus their energy on making disciples instead of on fighting with one another.

But, again, I have never been to one of their meetings, so I really don't have a place to talk about what goes on in them.