In Relationships 101, John Maxwell talks about how we can become effective encouragers of others.
He states: "Believing in people before they have proved themselves is the key to motivating people to reach their potential".
He offers these four facts about having faith in others:
1) Most people don't have faith in themselves.
2) Most people don't have someone who has faith in them.
3) Most people can tell when someone else has faith in them.
4) Most people will do anything to live up to your faith in them.
Maxwell then offers some suggestions to how to become a better believer in people:
1) Believe in them before they succeed.
2) Emphasize their strengths.
3) List their past successes.
4) Instill confidence when they fail.
5) Experience some wins together.
6) Visualize their future success.
7) Expect a new level of living.