Monday, September 17, 2007

inspiring a shared vision

I just listened to an Andy Stanley talk about "Inspiring a Shared Vision" here. A very helpful message.

In the talk he basically offers three steps for communicating vision that people can get behind. His steps are taken from Nehimiah 2:17-18, which reads:
17 Then I said to them, "You see the trouble we are in: Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been burned with fire. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, and we will no longer be in disgrace." 18 I also told them about the gracious hand of my God upon me and what the king had said to me. They replied, "Let us start rebuilding." So they began this good work.

The steps are:
1) Define the problem, which engages the mind.

("You see the trouble we are in: Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been burned with fire.")

2) Offer your solution, which engages the imagination.

("Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem.")

3) Present the reasons why it is urgent, which engages the heart.

("and we will no longer be in disgrace." I also told them about the gracious hand of my God upon me and what the king had said to me.)
Then you get buy in.
(They replied, "Let us start rebuilding." So they began this good work.)

5 comments:

Educator-To-Be said...

You have a nice blog.

I just wanted to let you know that.

Amy

Joe McDonald said...

Hey Jason,

Nice find! Concise, yet filled with pointers. Thanks for directing me to him.

Jason Woolever said...

hey joe. I'm glad you liked it. That Global Pastors Network has tons of great stuff. Andy Stanley is fresh. I love his stuff.

JD said...

Jason,

I don't read your blog for a few days and BAM! 3 posts that are truly classic Jason.

Thanks bro, and my prayers continue to be with you as you navigate these new and refrshing challenges.

PAX
JD

Jason Woolever said...

hey JD! good to hear from you! please do pray! God is good.