Friday, September 21, 2007

what's so amazing about grace?

I just picked up Philip Yancey's book What's So Amazing About Grace. The first chapter was so good I thought I'd share a few snippets:

"As I look back on my own pilgrimage, marked by wanderings, detours, and dead ends, I see now that what pulled me along was my search for grace. I rejected the church for a time because I found so little grace there. I returned because I found grace nowhere else."
- Philip Yancey

"The world can do almost anything as well as or better than the church. You need not be a Christian to build houses, feed the hungry, or heal the sick. There is only one thing the world cannot do. It cannot offer grace."
- Gordon MacDonald

"Many years ago I was driven to the conclusion that the two major causes of most emotional problems among evangelical Christians are there: the failure to understand, receive, and live out God's unconditional grace and forgiveness; and the failure to give out that unconditional love, forgiveness, and grace to other people.... We read, we hear, we believe a good theology of grace. But that's not thw way we live. The good news of the Gospel of grace has not penetrated the level of our emotions."
- David Seamands, counselor

4 comments:

greg hazelrig said...

A great book. I also liked "The Jesus I Never Knew" and "Rumors"

Jason Woolever said...

yeah, i loved The Jesus I Never Knew. another good one is Reaching for the Invisible God.

greg hazelrig said...

I'll have to check that one out. Never read it.

Katie Z. said...

I haven't read it either (and hi, I haven't been on your blog before either) but that first quote you included...about grace not being present in many lived congregations, but the church being the only place to really find it spoke to me. When we live according to the spirit of God and we open ourselves to God's grace, we CAN share it with others... but as pastors, somehow we have to figure out how to get our churches to open themselves up.