Thursday, April 24, 2008

being a contribution

I'm currently reading The Art of Possibility by Rosamund and Ben Zander. Seth Godin said on a Catalyst podcast that if there was one book that he would recommend it would be this one. In this book they are trying to blow open old paradigms of comparison and scarcity with new paradigms of abundance and possibility. Ben Zander is a world renowned orchestral conductor, and Ros is a therapist/coach of some sort. Of course, since its largely secular, I must screen it all through the Bible, but it is refreshing to be sure.

Each chapter presents another catch phrase for reframing paradigms. I read part of the fourth one last night, which is entitled "Being a Contribution." Here's a blurb:

Unlike success and failure, contribution has no other side. It is not arrived at by comparison. All at once I found that the fearful question, "Am I loved for who I am, or for what I have accomplished?" could both be replaced by the joyful question, "How will I be a contribution today?" (57)
This seems healthy to me as a part of the church world, where it sometimes feels like churches are competing against one another, as strange as that may sound. What if we all continually asked ourselves the question, How can we contribute to God's to world redeption and Kingdom expansion?, and refused to compare ourselves to other churches/Christians?

Galatians 6:4-5 All must test their own work; then that work, rather than their neighbour’s work, will become a cause for pride. For all must carry their own loads.

No comments: